SEO is Simple
3 Elements of SEO
- Does your page title contain your keyword?
- are there 250 words about the keyword?
- are there pictures?
- Are there links going to your page?
- The page with the most, best links wins!
- Remember, google ranks web pages, not web sites.
- the page on your site ranks for your keyword, not your whole site
- Find target site
- Build links.
7 Principles of white hat link building
In a world without google
- If google did not exist, where would you want to put your links? (No bizarre oddball directories and bs social bookmarking)
If Matt Cutts (Head of web spam team on google) was over my shoulder, whould I pursue getting this link?
Guarantees you won’t take hits from algorithm change
- White hat link building follows relevancy, not pagerank
- Getting a link from a high PR page used to always be valuable, today its more the relevance of the content
- Relevancy Tree (create with team)
- write down all the terms that relate to your market
- circle all the words that have a group, community, or content based around it
- organize from most related to least related
Website owners are people. And people link to people.
- the best links come from people
- if its an instant link, its probably not good
- call them if possible
The most powerful link building tool is your brain
- No link buidling tool, seminar or article can come up with the ideas
- Use your brain!
Link building is a team sport
- Link building alone is torturous, impossible, dreadful, terrible, ineffective.
- If it goes viral, it goes viral.
FTBOM: For the betterment of mankind.
- talk about something that’s for the betterment of mankind
- if you say “we have an awesome site” would you give the link? or if it were an article that adds value for the readers of the target site, you have a better chance of getting the link.
Regarding anchor text
- the clickable text on the page
- the word is the link
Exact anchor text with your keyword is DANGEROUS
- If the objective of google is to find naturally occuring greatness, they don’t all have the same link names.
VARY YOUR ANCHOR TEXT (Link profile), also use your plain old URL.
What’s new in link building for 2013
The legacy of spam is disappearing
- getting more calls from people who understand the value of quality links over quantity
- Used to talk about 1000’s of links, now people talk about 10’s of links
- Pages can rank with highly competitive links with less than 15 good quality links
- Spam will ultimately destroy long term success
Marketing = SEO
- think about places that you should get links in a world without google
- relevancy is just the beginning
- think about where and how to get your message out
Warning: Don’t underestimate link building.
people underestimate the enormity of the task of link building and the time that it really takes to do it right
remember there’s a lot at stake and your competitors are working too, but it works
Link building strategies you should consider
- If you give links, you should get links
- Resources page, things we like, etc
Blogging - vital to white hat link building
- gives you a voice and precence online
- magnifies your search terms by 100x
- establishes your authority
becomes the platform for content marketing, social media engagement and timely blog posts
- Decide who your audience is
- Determine categories
- Get keyword lists (make keyword lists)
- Brainstorm blog post titles from categories and keyword lists
Interview exprerts and others
- you link to them
- they link to you
Research your local keyword universe
- find news sources, experts, associations, forums, blogs, trade shows, events, etc
- if you get stuck, move on in your relevancy tree
- download your competitors backlink portfolios (SEOMoz, MajesticSEO) and find the ones that you can duplicate or emulate.
Find your target sites
- use relevancy tree
accept posts on your blog
Email or call your blogger, offer to contribute
- Personalized email with title of article or the actual article, Don’t use a canned email
- send pictures
- do the work for them
When you finally get the post, always ask them for an in content link. Most will say no but they won’t say yes if you don’t ask. Higher to the page and in the middle is best. Bio at top, etc.
- Talk about it
- Tweet about it
- Sponsored tweets, stumples, ppc
- Bloggers want engagement and their success is your success
- Google authorship, tie the article to your google+ account
Write testimonials for your vendors
- Every good business transaction
- Send your client an unsolicited testimonial and picture
- Mention them in your blog
- Give them some love
- if you have a well known brand, find mentions of yourself and ask for a link. if you’re there already, ask them to link
Broken link building
- find broken links that go to similar sites as yours and ask them to link to you instead
Build a museum
- make a museum of your product, history of your product, glossary, etc
Resource pages - Outreach
- find the page
- ask for a link
Badging: create badge awards to give to bloggers, etc
Find sub-categories to badge
- Hall of fame
- Best of
- Badge links back to site
- Top 10 lists
- Hall of fame
- Reward best customers
- Recognize experts
- Very content hungry
- invent a DIY project
- send it to DIY site
Don’t do forums
- Give stuff away
- Review everything about your niche
- Do something crazy, unique (Giant stuff, big ideas)